- environment en‧vi‧ron‧ment [ɪnˈvaɪərənmənt ǁ -ˈvaɪr-] noun [countable]1. the environment the air, water, and land in which people, animals, and plants live:
• Since these chemicals were banned, pesticide levels in the environment have been declining.2. the general conditions that influence something:
• Moving forward in a changing environment is never easy.
• In the new global business environment the exchange of information is the key to success.
• The new company will be operating in a competitive environment.
• The results were in line with what we expected, in spite of the difficult economic environment.
• Despite the poor retail environment, the company is doing well.
• the Windows environment
* * *environment UK US /ɪnˈvaɪərənmənt/ noun● the environment — Cf. the environment► [C] the conditions that people live, work, or spend time in and the way that they influence how they feel, behave, or work: business/commercial/retail environment »
In a fast-paced, changing business environment, making sure employees have the right guidance can be critical.office/workplace environment »
After working freelance for some time, I wasn't sure whether I would fit well in an office environment.»
a learning/working environment»
a friendly/pleasant environment► [C] IT the system in which a computer or computer program operates: »
The company develops large-scale, fully-integrated, multimedia software environments for telephone company networks and cable TV systems.
Financial and business terms. 2012.